Monday, November 17, 2008

Today's Surgery

I was at the hospital at 6am and surgery began at 7:30 (time does NOT fly when you are being poked and prodded). The surgery went fine. Dr. Paulishak went into the same excision from 6 weeks ago, "dug out" more margins (I did request that she get plenty) and they put in a port on my right side. (The port is basically a 'portal' to my superior vena cava...the main vein that goes to my heart and then the rest of my body. This is my 'poking site'. They will administer the chemo through this, take blood through this and it makes access to my insides much easier. It does stick out which grosses me out but apparently the pain will be less.) The surgery went well and I have a pretty cool x-ray of the port and the tube that goes into my vein (these look GREAT on an overhead projector).

Andre brought me in this am, Renate spent the day with me and Sally and I are having a slumber party tonight. I didn't dare have more than 3 bites of my yummy lentil soup because it is a bit spicy and I don't want to throw up. I'm saving room for popcorn and mango or peach sorbet later. This surgery was much easier. We sat on the deck in the sun after we got home, I took a nap for a couple hours and I'll go to bed early tonight.

This part is behind me. Each one of these hurdles is that much closer to being DONE!

No comments: