Friday, November 14, 2008

Life Is

14 November 2008

Life Is.  That's where you go for healing, comfort, energy, perspective.

This was my message tonight when I headed to 'Messiah's Handbook'.  

Now all I need to do is make sense of it all.  

Second opinions.  I was mostly interested in what the oncologist had to say (this is the Chemo Master.....or Devil.....depending on how you look at it).  He told me that I was in a grey zone as far as treatment options go.  In his very flat tone, he said, "It would probably be ok if you didn't get chemo and it would probably be ok if you did."  

He and the radiation oncologist suggested study after study that I could participate in, but once again, it puts me into the hands of "The Randomizers".  

So, what am I going to do?  After lots of tears (thank goodness for friend's shoulders), I have decided to go ahead and do the chemo.  This has been agonizing, although when I learned that my chances for recurrence would be lower if I did it, I think I knew in my heart what my decision would be. 

There are times when I can talk about this without crying, times that I have 30 second to 1 minute streams of tears, and times when it lasts longer.  I'm sleeping unassisted (no Ambien, yet), and have been doing a lot of working out.  I want to be strong when I get my surgery on Monday to put in the chemo port and get more margins "dug out" (my surgeon hates when I use that term).  I will then be going to "Chemo School" a week from Monday and am scheduled for my first treatment the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  

I don't know if I can make sense of it all at this point.  My hope is that when I move into the 'amateur' role, that I will be able to get perspective.  I guess for this moment I just have to keep telling myself "Life Is" and grasp the threads of healing, comfort and energy that are offered to me by so many of you.  Thank you for all your help, all your love and your shoulders.

3 comments:

suesun said...

You might not want to read what I just wrote about chemo right now, but then again, you might......

It is good to speak the truth. I cried for two hours straight on Thursday night. It's ok. We don't have to be all strong and bold and inspiring all the time. I find I am at my best with those who don't expect too much from me, with those who are scared for/with me and who understand that it's ok just to be.

I'm with you on this journey.

rowz said...

Lynnie,
Thank you for including me on your journey. I am with you. I hold you in my heart.
Love,
Rowz

Unknown said...

Lynn,
What a difficult choice to make, but I'm so proud of you. You are a fighter and you are going to kick this cancer on its @$$! My thoughts are with you tomorrow and always. Remember, you are beautiful inside and out - chemo will never change that.

Love, Mo