Saturday, November 8, 2008

Illusions and Magic

In the book Illusions by Richard Bach, there is a man named Donald Shimoda who carries a small book around called "Messiah's Handbook:  Reminders for the Advanced Soul".  The idea behind this book is to hold a question in your mind, close your eyes, open the handbook at random, pick the left or right side, open your eyes and read the answer.  

Right after the "C Bomb" was dropped on me, a dear friend gave me that book as an early birthday present.  In one of my "breathe through your tears and try to deal with this" moments, I opened the book and read,
 
"You learn most when you play against an opponent who can beat you"

WOW!  It took my breath away.  It gave me strength and stopped my tears pretty quickly.  

Another evening, I opened the book and the magic stated,
 
You're master of what you've lived,
Artisan at what you're living,
Amateur at what's next to live.

I was completely WOWED once again!  

Last year on November 11 I returned home from another trip of a lifetime.  I had spent the last 10 days in Italy with my mom running around medieval cities, eating gelato, and floating within the magical cloud that wraps itself through Italy. 

I wouldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams (and my dreams can get pretty wild), that this year on November 11, I would be getting a second opinion about treatment options for cancer. That is my plan for this Tuesday.  Andre and I are driving to Denver to meet with a team of surgeons, radiation oncologist, chemo oncologist and perhaps others to see if there is agreement with my doctors here.  

I  can't say I'm an artisan at this point, but I'm getting through with the help of so many of YOU. I breathe my way through tears, enjoy my family and friends, continue my biking and hiking, try to impart knowledge to 13 year olds and do some laughing along the way.

Amateur.  It's what's next.  May it be filled with learning and lessons.

2 comments:

suesun said...

Wow, indeed.
Just remember, it's an opponent who "can" beat you, not one that "will".

Please call Kat. I think you might find something you seek.........

rowz said...

Remember, amateur comes from the Latin amo meaning to love. Amateurs live for the love of a subject. Stay an amateur and stay an abstract random.
Love,
Rose