Monday, November 17, 2008

All Call for Ideas

17 November

"Chemo School" is this Monday. At this point, they will be dripping poison into my body the day before Thanksgiving. Not all types of chemo cause hair loss. The two I am receiving do. I'm realizing that I'm attached to my hair and that's just the way it is. I cry over the thought of losing my hair. I know it will grow back, but not until after I have lost it all. I thought of an idea, but could really use your help. I dug out a few hats and tried them on. I will be knitting my first hat. My friend Sue (http://suesun40@blogspot.com) helped me with a little bit of scarf tying. She also had a very sexy wig; lots of body, beautiful flouncing curls at the bottom, looks like one of those conditioner commercials. If it were my real hair, it would take electric curlers, lots of mousse and about an hour....and it would last a maximum of 2 minutes before falling!

Here is my idea. I would like to get my hair cut before it falls out and attach it somehow to some type of hairband. I could wear the hairband and put a hat over it. That way I could keep my hair as a "souvenir" and at least feel comfortable in situations where I want a bit of hair. I'm calling on you, my incredible creative community, to help me with this.

My "All Call" to you is to help me come up with a way to attach it to a headband.
1. What type of headband should I use?
2. In order to attach the hair to the band, do I use superglue? Duct tape? Windex?

When I talked with Sue (my trailblazer, in that she has gone through 3 chemo treatments so far and is sharing info, laughs and tears), she stressed that if I want to do this, my hair needs to go before I get too far into chemo. Apparently hair gets all strawlike fairly early on with treatments.

Thank you SO much in advance for your creative wigging! Perhaps we can start a trend among chemo patients!

4 comments:

Andre said...

Doubtful that Windex will work...how about some of that spray-on adhesive that is used to mount photos?

suesun said...

I like the new blog title. You'll get a story in your chemo school binder about going to Holland instead of Italy. I've read it at least 5 or 6 times. You'll like it. Even if it is in "another fucking binder!!!!!!!"
xoxo

PalosDesign said...

Lynn, I love your hair headband idea! When Sienna donated her hair to Locks of Love, they pulled it into a ponytail and cut just above the rubber band. What if you did that and attached your ponytail to the back of your favorite baseball cap type hat? You know coming out of the little hole in the back like when you're going hiking or something.

Unknown said...

Still doing some research but I've found a company that will do your hairband idea (to go under any hat or scarf) or the ponytail with a baseball cap that Stacy suggested or a couple other hat with hair options. I'll keep on searching and let you know what I find! Love, Mo