Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Good News With a Glitch

Two days before my 48th birthday I had the first surgery of my life.  My breast was injected 5 times with a radioactive dye (THAT HURT), I waited for 2 hours with 3 wonderful friends while the dye made its way through my lymph system, they put me under, and then a geiger counter was used to find the path of the dye....kind of cool and 'sciency', although it would have been cooler had I just read about it!

The good news is that the cancer had not entered my lymph nodes!  
The glitch is that the margins were not as good as the surgeon wanted.  She wanted to see a rim of clean tissue surrounding the cancer that was 2 millimeters.  On one of the edges, it was only 1.5 millimeters.  Half a millimeter never seemed like that much before.

What does this mean?  
*Discuss more surgery.  One of my feelings is "Can't you just go in and dig more out?"
*Discuss chemotherapy.  The second worst "C" word!
*Radiation is a given.

A piece of Hope:
A sample of my tissue was sent off to a lab in San Francisco for an Oncotype test.  This is pretty amazing (and 'sciency' again...although my feelings about preferring to just read about it remain the same).  This test will tell me if chemotherapy will benefit my type of cancer.  If you are interested in reading more about it, you can go to www.genomichealth.com.

The test results should come back this week. 
Thanks for all the wonderful thoughts.
Thanks for wearing purple!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for doing the blog... Lots of hugs! Mo

rowz said...

Dear Lynnie,
Please know that you are not alone on your journey. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You are always carried in my heart.
Rose

tomphulery said...

May the radiation you receive give you mucho millimeters! The purple shirt is frequently on top of the laundry pile. Many are with you, babe! Love, Tom

Bennae said...

I am sending lots of white light filled with hope and love your way, and I'm always happy for a chance to wear more purple! Much love, Bennae

Peggy Lee said...

Hi Friend!! You are in my prayers, Lynn. I will wear purple for you too, tho I'm neither into pink or purple, but for you I'll do it! I miss you...call me sometime =)

trishbursnall said...

Lynn...I am so sorry that I have been neglecting my email! Thinking of you lots...and funny enough, I have been attached to purple this week... xoxo, trish

mary m anderson said...

HI Lynn. Soooo, purple!?!? You always need to be a little different. Believe me, I understand. You ahve always had such great boobs. They'll pull through for you! May The Force be with you. Love, Mare