Friday, October 31, 2008

Another Glitch

31 October 08

Another hard decision just plopped into my lap.  The amazing onco test came back and I was put into an 'Intermediate Risk' category.  This means there is a 13% chance that this specific cancer will recur....which also means there is an 87% chance that it will STAY OUT of my body!  Chemotherapy could increase that by about 5% to a 92% chance of keeping out. 

I can't put the decision into someone else's lap now.  If I were high risk, it would be horrid, but the decision would have been made.....chemo would be a given (along with radiation for 5-6 weeks and hormone therapy for 5 years).  If I had been low risk, I would have only needed radiation and hormone therapy....chemo wouldn't have been beneficial to me and the whooping and hollering could have begun.

There is a clinical trial available that randomizes me and puts me into either a chemo, radiation, hormone therapy group or a radiation, hormone therapy group.  It would be good info for future generations, but it puts the decision about my life into the hands of "The Randomizers".  

So....here it is.....sitting in my lap......waiting.....

No comments: